swdubs.co.uk logo banner

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My flickr....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 am 
Spends Too Much Time on the Forum

Dont really tend to update it everyday and dont use it like facebook so not much happens,
either way tell me what you think!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24198026@N04/

Post subject: Re: My flickr....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:20 am 
Forum Surfer

just had a scan through and you've got some good shots in there! :thumbup:

loved the woodbury sunset shot, a cheeky silhouette on the bench wud of been awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm 

nice start mate! keep whoring yourself out, askin for crit always helps! if you ever want crit/advice or what ever, gimme a shout.x

steve m wrote:
forgot the jizz! sorry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 pm 

mikecanni wrote:
just had a scan through and you've got some good shots in there! :thumbup:

loved the woodbury sunset shot, a cheeky silhouette on the bench wud of been awesome!

cheers man,
that was a pretty special day, some sort of wierd thing to do with the cold and the moisture in the atmosphere.
EVERYTHING was white only happens once in a blue moon apparently, it was originally a HDR panorama, but i rushed it and forgot to turn the auto focus off so when the shots were stitched together the focus was all over the shop!

Tom Edge wrote:
nice start mate! keep whoring yourself out, askin for crit always helps! if you ever want crit/advice or what ever, gimme a shout.x

crit away man,
im not one to take it to heart, can only learn from it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 am 

well a few personal hatchets to bury initially (because this isn't crit it's just opinion) i really dislike HDR and i really dislike going in close with a wide angle lens.

the ones of Will and Chris' cars (at the very start) I appreciate you were new to using your sexy 5dmk2 but i would say white balance is slightly off, and to me it can make a huge difference.

My other thing, on those last pictures that are black and white, at the fishyard. they seem to be a little grey (i know they are black and white haha) almost as if they are lacking a huge amount of shadow or highlight detail. maybe the tonal range was kinda crappy on that day due to light, but maybe play around with upping contrast etc...

what is your workflow like, what programs are you using, what files you deal with etc....

Another tip for black and white, which i only learnt in the studio last week! (you may already do this) but if you are shooting on raw, which you should be, then you should set your picture style mode to black and white. This way you can see the results because with out a huge amount of experience of shooting film it is very difficult to see the world in tones and not colours. It still saves the raws as colour, but the JPGs are black and white and when you preveiw them on screen you view them in black and white. (this is true of all picture styles, not jus B&W)

another tom's top tip is to create your own black and white userdefine picture style and play around with the sliders, maybe add contrast, or take it away or sharpness etc until you get a look you want. there are plenty of guides on the internet to give you a good idea of picture styles.

i hope at no point i came across as condesending, because your work is really good, it may appear i only picked silly niggly things, but that is because there are only silly little things wrong with them. so all in all, well done really really good stuff, look forward to more.

steve m wrote:
forgot the jizz! sorry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm 

nah man, thats all fair enough.
Yeh will and sanders was just a quick blip before we left, it wasnt planned or thought about atall, as is most of my stuff ha ha!
Personally, i dislike HDR too, however sometimes its needed for otherwise impossible shots, e.g. sunsets that burn out and under expose the landscape. although im straying away from cutesy shit like that, its what amatuers do to think theye good ha ha!
I work with lightroom, i feel its the quickest/easiest to use. Its so easy to edit and send off a shoot for a wedding/festival when you've got hundreds of photos to sort out quickly.
Yeh again the black and white ones werent thought about just uploaded as they didnt look too bad, i only shot them to get a college project out of the way.
cheers dude