swdubs.co.uk logo banner

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:04 pm 
Mods

Engine in! yay!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:49 pm 
Post God

Thats a major milestone! Its looks right at home in there.

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 pm 
Forum Surfer

Looking good Dave, a lot of work has gone into this :thumbup:

I've caught on the last page or two, but need to track back and catch up from where I left off, its a good read ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

cheers guys. I am in the middle of tracking down parts and buying them at the moment. There has been a change in direction for the ignition I am going to be running and the rad needs some playing around with to make it fit the Jetta front end (stupid Jetta).

Got some more parts cleaned and on last weekend, but I have realised that I think I want to get new hoses (Samco I guess), so they are now on the list too.

Also put one of the lights in and the grill to test clearance of the low rad setup with the deeper, wider Jetta light. Luckily the rad clears, but there are other issues. Will detail when I have sorted them with the fabricator :) In the mean time, here's a winking Jetta ;)

More updates coming soon though :)

SWDubs blog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:40 pm 
Regular

Those carbs look great Dave, you must be a happy man!. Definitely get new hoses, freshens it up lol. I spent a while trying to find a set of hoses (silicone) just for the rad. Annoyingly most mk1 items will fit but the top one is different due to the 16v head.

I ended up buying a set of the Roose Motorsport ones on Ebay and chopping the top one up to fit. Was a shame to cut up a new hose, but the join is under the carbs anyhow, so you don't see it.

Another option on those two pipes would be to get some 45 degrees pipes from Ash pipes (on ebay) and join then up as above.
Your probably sorted, but I thought I would put my 2p's worth in!, I know how much Samco stuff is!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:12 am 
Mods

I did the 'Ash' silicone pipe way... but only because I'm using a corsa radiator with an inline fill, so had to be custom built. Looks good and hidden the joins by used black jubilee clips. Strong work again Dave, prob the most you've done all year isnt it? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:46 pm 
Post God

Looking 1st class :thumbup: those red poly gearbox mounts are very harsh the factory diesel version is a good upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:01 pm 
Forum Surfer

Looking good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Not a great deal of progress on the surface, but getting real close to the milestone of starting :)

Welded up this table for the workshop (mostly made by my bro-in-law from Noath Precision, but I welded the front on lol)

Some may know that the custom Rad that I bought did not fit the Jetta front end very well (stupid Jetta front panel). So I have had to take some drastic action with it.
To get the thing to fit I have decided to shorten the feet and move the position of the feet on the rad. Moving it away from the carbs and helping the front bracket meet the front panel correctly. So, I took my grinder to the £500 rad...

Leaving,

No turning back now. I then took the rad to the car and measured up where I wanted the rad to be moved to. Marking the new locations on the masking tape I used to mark the old locations.

Then I used a super technical method to reattach the feet in the new locations to test the left to right fitment. (also known as electrical tape)
[Image

Whacked the rad back in and all looks good to me. Just need to take off a few mm from the feet to have the rad as low as possible. Will get the feet shortened and then ask someone to tig the feet back on in the new locations, then bobs your uncle, new rad that fits.

I have also fitted my new ignition system from H&H ignition solutions. Really happy with it and have found a nice hidden place for the coil to sit.

Question for all those who are running a valver on carbs in a 1.3 shell. What wiring do I actually need to connect? I have no need for the 16v engine by loom and just need a power wire to the new coil for spark. What sensors do i need to run (if any)? Also, what is the best way to power the car from a rear mounted battery? Feeding the power into the fuse box and then attaching all power wires to the starter in the bay? @isaact4, how have you got yours setup?

Dave

SWDubs blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 pm 
Regular

Nice update Dave!!
Bloody radiators, I hadn't said, but I had to tweak mine slightly when I fitted it, all my fault and not Joe's!!. With that ignition setup you shouldn't need any of the 16v wiring, I would imagine you original 1.3 coil wiring would have the wires you need to connect up to the h+h setup. I think the last time we spoke, I said I would confirm the diagram, as I have it in writing….somewhere….somewhere really safe lol, its basically like one or two wires mate!
For the battery, I took one feed wire from the battery straight to the starter, from there its looped to the alternator (as per vw factory spec, i.e look at the standard wire set up). I also took another smaller feed wire from the battery to the fuse box to power it all up.
Do some research on appropriate wire though, needs to be man enough for the amps to start it up etc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Isaac,

Perfect, That all sounds good to me. I was only a few wires from the 1.3 going into the bay, but it sounds like I don't need them at all (ideal). I have a power cable from the Rocco that I used for the rear mounted battery, but I think I might buy a larger one as I am not sure the one I have is long enough :?

Cheers for the info dude, I will give it a bash and see what happens, but I think I am pretty close to being ready to start (at last).

SWDubs blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 pm 
Regular

No problems mate, I will dig out that wiring stuff over the weekend and get back to you. Glad its finally coming together for you, happy days :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18