swdubs.co.uk logo banner

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:51 pm 
Post God

Excellent update Chris :thumbup: you have certainly done your research I would like a polo rear hub conversion at some point.

Regarding the wheels how can you machine the shoulders and still have enough material for the wheel bolts? as they look deep set in the face? Also what size barrels are you after ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:17 am 
Dubber

Ow that Explain's it.. Sorry to hear that your Trying to be Stung for Wrong import tax's chris.I get it now.It would leave a Bad Taste in my Gobb too.

Nice Rims. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:12 pm 
Club member

mk1mark wrote:
Excellent update Chris :thumbup: you have certainly done your research I would like a polo rear hub conversion at some point.

Regarding the wheels how can you machine the shoulders and still have enough material for the wheel bolts? as they look deep set in the face? Also what size barrels are you after ?

mark,
gonna have the backpads machined right down,
just enough to clear twin pots. the old 4x108 holes
will get plugged with machined bar to a press in
tolerance, then welded top and bottom and milled
smooth.
the 4x100 pcd will be drilled inbetween the old 4x108 holes
and set the taper to the right depth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:38 am 
Post God

I see, look forward to seeing them done :thumbup: i thought they must be 108 as looked to be on a sierra in the first photo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:35 pm 
Mods

Yeah, what John said ^^ ha. All my research comes from John pretty much anyway. I cant believe the polo rear hub/disc conversion is basically plug and play, the only annoying bit is the brake line, but goodridge sell a conversion part for this too and reducing the pressure. No excuse not to do it Mark ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:40 pm 
Mods

Throttle position sensor now mounted on the carbs, to be able to 3D map my ECU.

Isaac also brought me over a nice new shiny water blanking plate, as the one I had was looking a bit tatty :thumbup:

And some new G60 discs and correctly mounted calipers/carriers -

Back to the wheels - So after the strip down I took the faces and mated them up to the hubs I had previously built up with the Girling 60's on to see how much of the shoulder can be taken down. There was just over 35mm space between the brake caliper and the back face of the wheel centre.

So I then I bought some barrels on the previous trial fit to do another trial fit for how much the faces needed to come down.

John kindly put some correctly sized test tyres on them for me to finish the measuring up to determine how much needs to come off the back faces. One 8.25J and one 7J

7J - 165/35/16

8.25J - 195/40/16

Then went about ripping one side of the suspension off the Golf, and fitting a spare set of coilovers I had for trial fitment -

Fronts -

Which was a good 40mm away from the suspension coil, so the fronts faces will have the maximum 35mm length machined away from the shoulder, which still leaves enough shoulder for my brakes to fit behind.

Then I got stumped on the rear as the bottom bolt would not budge at all, was literally seized inside the suspension bushing. Spent a good hour heating it up and trying to smash it out, with no success. So the decision was made to take off the rear beam to get better access to it and cut the bolt off.

So with that bolt cut off, rear beam back on, coilovers on, and test fit the wheel to check for clearance. Spot on.

Next on the list was to finish off the plumbing. I went for the Vauxhall Corsa B radiator with the understanding It fits nicely under the slam panel and slots into the pre-made radiator holes in the cross bar nicely, oddly enough. I flipped the radiator upside down as it sat under the bonnet pull mechanism better and chopped off the two lugs that support the radiator.

Then made some little brackets out of aluminum sheet to hold the radiator in place, which all nicely bolted up to the exsiting radiator support holes in the slam panel.

And how the radiator sits top down, a lil angle to allow room for the radiator fan to sit in front of it.

And the raditor fan and housing. Luckily enough I was able to flip the blade and turn it into a push fan rather then a pull fan.

Picked up an oil catch can -

I was so pleased with myself I found a nice little place to mount it on the cyclinder head, worked out the HT lead routing and slotted in out of view. But took a while to work out that it sits directly in the path of the gear shift mech. I think in the future I'll get a cable shift box and mount the catch can back up there, but for the mean time had to find a new place to mount it.

Then had to hunt for a new place to put it..... nope, to in your face here -

Compromised with it being put on the front panel out of sight. Once the battery tray has been removed I think it will fit nicely there out of sight.

I also had a dab at fabric dyeing my scirocco rear bench seat.

Midway -

After three coats - It didn't get rid of the pattern but it certainly reduced it alot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
Regular

Strong work Chris!!
Them wheels.... very very nice! almost as nice as that water blank hey lol?!
We had a right nightmare on one of my mate's mk1s removing that same bolt from the rear beam, so frustrating.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:27 pm 
Mods

haha, I would say the water blank is even nicer than the wheels, pure sentimental value! Yeah, was a right pig, was on it with a breaker bar for ages then the bushing inside it just started spinning.. so it had to get chopped off in the end, no other way around it.

But anyway, engine back out again and placed on engine stand -

So then all panels back on again ready for the shell to be taken for metal work.

Then back in the garage awaiting collection -

Freeze plug in the block, took abit of force to get in mind (35mm) Cheers Isaac :thumbup:

Also got my breather blank from Joe at Fresh Reflections

Sprayed the freeze plug black and put on that annoying 3 way coolant pipe.

My front inner ARB mounts have seen better days, so decided to sort them out. One had a bolt in that looks like it had been welded on previously by someone else and the other side had no bolt, just a hole drilled through the head of the original bolt that used to be there. So i decided to chop them both off and weld on new bolts.

The welds don't look pretty... but no ones going to see them as they be facing upwards on the underside of the car and they're certainly not going to fall off. Sprayed them with some spare blue paint whist they wait to go to John for powder coating.

And then just a few items i've picked up recently :twisted:

'Bottom ball' rose joints with extenders, with tie rod end flip bushes from Daves brother in law Adam, looks lovely :thumbup:

Some new Lemforder front wishbones, with the all important ARB holes pre-drilled 8-)

And my recent exciting purchase, some BC Racing coilovers. I went for a 6kg - 5kg ratio, which will be a pretty damn firm ride. One of the good things about the BC coilovers is if I wasn't happy with the 6-5kg ratio, I can always replace the springs for a different rating from their shop at a relevantly cheap cost. But the main selling point for me about these are the ability to lower the car whilst not changing the load on the spring. On conventional coilovers to alter the ride height, you raise or lower the bottom support of the spring to select the height you want - which increase or decreases the load on the spring. But the BC coilovers can alter the ride height without changing the load on the spring by moving the suspension column down through the bottom hub which keeps the same travel at different ride heights. They also come with camber adjustable rose jointed top mounts and 30 click adjustable dampening <3 Anyway, pictures -

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:11 pm 
Mods

The car now lives up at Resto Shack with Dave :D Let the body work commence

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:33 pm 
Regular

Now thats an update!! good times!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:37 am 
Mods

Ha cheers Isaac, dont see any updates floating around about the golf on here... or even a thread started about the Caddy ;) secrets out now.. haha

Johns dipped my E50 faces :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:38 pm 
Regular

He he, I'd be polishing them bad boys.......

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 am 
Mods

Stay away from my wheels with your polisher! :twisted: ... minus my lips

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:12 pm 
Regular

Ok mate!!, I guess the big question is the colour, but then the bigger question is the colour of the car?, unless I have missed something, or are you doing a Dave and keeping it unwraps for a while?!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:00 am 
Whore

fantastic project, I'm looking forward to seeing this when it's done :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next