swdubs.co.uk logo banner

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 am 
Post God

So the fuel pump on the Golf has decided not to work.

It doesn't prime or anything, there is power at the relay which is operating correctly, but no power at the pump itself. I removed, cleaned and refitted the far right fuse board plug (which i believe to be the one powering the pump) but no luck.

The loom runs down the passenger sill then to where? The interiors stripped out, any ideas?

It lives outside under a cover by the way, i haven't found any evidence of mice from winter, i would suspect corroded connections, just not sure where?

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 pm 
Regular

The loom goes past the passenger seat and then should run across the back of the foot well, from there, it should go through a rubber bung (just behind the drivers seat roughly) and then out to the underside of the car to the top of the tank.

You should be able to lift the rear seat up and expose the round metal cover on the top of the tank which houses the wiring/lift pump. If you are concerned about potential broken wires, you could bypass the loom, go from the fusebox/relay directly to lift pump in the tank?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:40 am 
Post God

isaact4 wrote:
The loom goes past the passenger seat and then should run across the back of the foot well, from there, it should go through a rubber bung (just behind the drivers seat roughly) and then out to the underside of the car to the top of the tank.

You should be able to lift the rear seat up and expose the round metal cover on the top of the tank which houses the wiring/lift pump. If you are concerned about potential broken wires, you could bypass the loom, go from the fusebox/relay directly to lift pump in the tank?

I see, there is no interior apart from drivers seat and dash so i don't know how i spotted it. I removed the cover from under the rear seat though, this has a small two wire plug, which i assumed would be for only the fuel level sensor?

To the right of the tank underneath (ahead of the drivers side rear wheel) there is a pump shaped item, with two terminals covered over with rubber, i seem to remember a red/yellow wire on one too. This is the pump?

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:21 pm 
Regular

I wrote long reply last night to your last post, but for some reason it didnt come up?!, my computer must of timed out or me being stupid lol.
That wire is as you said, the fuel level sensor and the object to the right is ya pump too. I read ya build thread late that night after I had replied and realised ya car's injection etc!.
Have you checked how clean the inside of the tank is? with the car being sat for some time sludge or rust could of gone into the pump?, if all good and you are confident it is a wiring issue, could you not bypass the wiring to the pump and wire in the feed directly from the relay to the connections on the pump, (ruling out wiring shorts).
Nice build thread by the way! loving the colour too, you keeping it the original colour?
Isaac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:44 am 
Post God

isaact4 wrote:
I wrote long reply last night to your last post, but for some reason it didnt come up?!, my computer must of timed out or me being stupid lol.
That wire is as you said, the fuel level sensor and the object to the right is ya pump too. I read ya build thread late that night after I had replied and realised ya car's injection etc!.
Have you checked how clean the inside of the tank is? with the car being sat for some time sludge or rust could of gone into the pump?, if all good and you are confident it is a wiring issue, could you not bypass the wiring to the pump and wire in the feed directly from the relay to the connections on the pump, (ruling out wiring shorts).
Nice build thread by the way! loving the colour too, you keeping it the original colour?
Isaac

Ahhh, i was getting confused! I see, yes i was thinking bypass the lot and see if it works. The pumps in an awkward place though! I havn't ruled outcrap from the tank. It just seems odd it worked fine, i left it a month the the pump won't even do anything. Oh and theres no power at the pump!

Yes, i'll keep it the same colour, its what makes this car rare so it would be silly to change it. I just want to restore it with a few new touches, stupid dark evenings and lack of weekends isn't helping!

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:18 pm 
Post God

The trigger wire for the fuel pump relay comes from the rev counter, have you got the clocks or coil disconnected ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 am 
Post God

mk1mark wrote:
The trigger wire for the fuel pump relay comes from the rev counter, have you got the clocks or coil disconnected ?

Yes someone mentioned this on the Mk1 Golf OC forum, i need to investigate. The engine and dash hasn't been touched, the rev counter has been dodgy all the time i've know it, will work sometimes when the engines revved, otherwise its dead.
The plug for the hall sensor on the dizzy also flops about all over the place. The car was running, parked up, went to move it a month later and no pump.

I need to get out there an investigate one evening, might not be this week though, i may be wrong, but when i did the preliminary checks, there was power at three of the four relay terminals with the ignition on, so i assumed this side was working.

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 pm 
Regular

Sounds very typical for mk1 wiring!, like you said, just go through all the terminals/contacts. Mine had loads of loose contacts, you could pull the wires out of the plug that goes to the back of clocks! keep us posted, hope its a simple fix!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:40 am 
Post God

isaact4 wrote:
Sounds very typical for mk1 wiring!, like you said, just go through all the terminals/contacts. Mine had loads of loose contacts, you could pull the wires out of the plug that goes to the back of clocks! keep us posted, hope its a simple fix!

Judging by the condition of your Mk1 at the weekend i think i should just send it to you :thumbup: Thanks though, hopefully its simple. I was planning on leaving the wiring side of things until the bodywork was sorted, since it has to be driven in/out of its hidy hole to be worked on.

Hopefully i'll get some time in the dark next week to try and get it running :roll:

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 pm 
Regular

Lol thanks mate!, I left my wiring until after the body work too, yeah these dark hours don't help us much! it also doesnt help much with the enthusiasm to get it done!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:37 am 
Post God

So i managed to get some time with the old thing finally last night with a big mug of tea, flood lamp and inspection lamp. I've copied this over from the Mk1 forum (no photobucket at work...so the pics might now work.)

I have removed the clocks, there is no obvious damage to the wiring, i cleaned the contacts and now the ignition light and oil lamp do come on with the ignition. It does go off though on some turns of the key, a wriggle to the clocks plug gets them working. The digital clock is completely dead though. The fuse is fine and the ciggy lighter works.

The immobiliser has turned out to be just an alarm, scotch locked onto the dash wiring with 7 core towing cable going through the bulkhead for a siren. I've cut this out. Proper retro thing, its left two holes in the dash though!

There is no damage to the wiring running to the pump, and the relay had power at three terminals with the ignition on, it clicks on/off correctly. Fuse 8 was blown, looks like its the indicator one, i'm sure they worked!

Going behind the fuse box, these look questionable:

This appears to have a red/yellow wire like the fuel pump wire going into it though. Sorry for the rubbish photo! Just been inforumed it is the fuel pump line, so unless the plastics discoloured i'll take this apart tonight.

I quit for the night at that point!

I'm going to get the knee bar out tonight for better access to the fuse box, possibly get the dash out too.

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:23 pm 
Regular

You mean you don't want a siren??!!
Glad ya picking ya way through it, my digital display was dead too, doesn't bother me either. Those plugs don't look great!, look like plugs A and C?, what are the pins going too, I gather you are using a pin out diagram from Rubjohny?. Been nice if the plugs are in a good enough condition to clean/fix up.
My wipers had an issue previous to me owning the car, it looked like something had shorted where the loom plugs into the stalks behind the steering wheel (my hand melted half the plug into a right mess!), Had to get another brown stalk and fix up the plug. Might not be the same with you, but worth a a look all the same.
Isaac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:15 am 
Post God

Interesting, thanks Isaac.

One of those pins was indeed a feed for the pump, i removed this and the other end crumbled out of the three terminal brown junction box pictured above. So i cleaned and remade this.
But, like an idiot, i was concentrating all my efforts on the working, silver box relay (the polo uses this as a fuel pump relay), when the fuel pump relay has actually turned out to be the larger, black relay with a fuse, sat next to the silver one. I'm a retard. :oops:

Even by passing the relay with wire would only make the pump click, however fitting a spare polo four pin fuel pump relay the fuel pump primes on the key, win win.

Where i am at now though, is the relay clicks and primes with the ignition, but when i fire the car up it will run and die, i can hear the relay clicking on and off pretty fast whilst its running. Its not the right relay, so i'm hunting for a replacement for the original, anyone know of a substitute? I can only find a £40 replacement.

Oh and i found a mouse nest in the airbox, thats always good :lolno:

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:45 pm 
Regular

on my lunch, so will reply properly later, but i do have the said relay you need

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:40 am 
Post God

isaact4 wrote:
on my lunch, so will reply properly later, but i do have the said relay you need

Amazing, i've found a dodgy bit of track inside the dead relay so i need to have a crack at fixing it, but a spare would always be handy :thumbup:

81 Golf Cabriolet GLi
76 Triumph Stag